king tuts contains spoilers

king tuts contains spoilers

Postby donald m » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Great night at King Tuts last night. Saw lots familiar faces – Roger, Don (in black), Wayne, Yair, and more , couple celebrities – comedian and footballer but the stars of the night were the Undertones. 31 yrs since I first saw them and they sounds as fresh as ever. Paul had dyed his hair ginger for the Scottish dates which was a nice touch:)

Sold out crowd who were completely up for agood night.Being an original Rocking Humdinger (or nerdy stalker as someone renamed us (Alex?) ) I got in on guest list, free T shirt and CD. How good was that – a lovely touch and I don’t think many other bands would even think of doing something like that – much appreciated guys. Paul mentioned we could get free psychiatric counselling as well after the gig but after the gig everyone was smiling so not required. Anyway the gig..

SPOILER ALERT , don’t read if you don’t want to know the setlist.
Played the whole 1st album in chronological order which was what I had hoped for. There are few albums that can stand up to being played in their entirety as most have a few duff tracks but the 1st album isn’t one of them. I saw Primal Scream doing Screamadelica last week and although it’s a groundbreaking album with some stunning tracks, some songs just weren’t suited to the live show but The Undertones 1st album and Hypnotised dont have any duff tracks IMO. Before we knew it, it was Casbah Rock and when I checked my watch it was under 40mins gone – brilliant, so many good songs in 40mins. Remember a quote from Mickey saying they kept their songs short so if you didn’t like one it would be over soon, well that 1st album flew by and the crowd loved it. Lots of Hypnotised tracks, couple new ones but biggest surprise was the addition of ‘Youre Welcome’ which is a personal favourite into the set. Encore of Velvet Undergrounds ‘Were gonna have a real good time together’ summed it up. Top night.
donald m

Re: king tuts contains spoilers

Postby Sire » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:29 pm

Great post Donald.
Already looking forward to the gigs.

When you say a sell-out. How many were there?
Getting worried as I have not pre-booked any other gig tickets!!!

....Spoiler discussion (alert)......
when they played the 1st Album front to back, was it the real 1st Album (white Cover sleeve) with the 14 tracks, or the later release (coloured Cover sleeve) with the extra or Bonus tracks? I probably know the answer but just curious.
Whatever, be great to hear/see them all, including the very long 'Casbah Rock'....
=========================
Nos of Tunes on my I-Pod:- 762
Nos of UNDERTONES tunes on my I-Pod:- 61
=========================
Sire

Postby donald m » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Original , white sleeve, wall album order. Perfect.
donald m

Postby hawk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Totally agree with Donald - what a fantastic sell out gig by the band at King Tut’s. Great crowd/great atmosphere/great venue - what a great band!!!

Great to meet up with Donald x2/Wayne/Delboy/Paul + daughter.

Band finished off the evening with a great rendition of Mars Bars.

Sire - I believe the capacity is 300.

Link to some more pics:

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a131/ ... 1QQtppZZ16
hawk

Postby Wayne » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Tuts setlist

Belter of a gig - band and crowd were great

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v193/ ... etlist.jpg
Wayne

Postby True Believer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:09 am

.... 'comedian and footballer....' please do tell.
True Believer

Return to News, Reviews, Interviews