Re: Holmfirth Picturedome July

Postby hawk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 am

Tom,

Not guilty mate !! - that's Andy
hawk

Postby terrier2 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Hawk,

No problem, you are very welcome, hopefully Nim used his directions to get to the M6. Great gig and good to meet up with a few people.

I know Andy who wanted to buy the skin, he's a massive fan and has seen them over 40 times, sure he wanted the skin as a momento.
terrier2

Postby Tom G » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm

He was firm and persistent trying to get me to part with it but not rude, aside from a slight change of tone at the end of the conversation when I suggested for the second time that he write to them asking for one. They are nice guys as we all know (Billy has e-mailed me today in response to my thanks for the drum skin), so I don't think it was a stupid suggestion. At the end of the day, I think he understood when I suggested that he wouldn't sell it to me if the situation were reversed.

I am 27 and I think he thought I didn't appreciate it as much as he would - probably thinking it would appear on eBay. I imagine he has checked by now and I actually thought about listing it on there just to leave a message to him in the decsription saying that I would never actually sell it.

With the skin being dated and signed by all of the band in advance, I sort of assumed this was a new tradition of theirs which I hadn't noticed at Leamington or Nottingham last year, and certainly not at Stourbridge in 2005 (my first Undertones gig). If it was a one-off, I am even more appreciative.

I hope Andy gets given a drum skin - or something he'd be qually happy with - at a gig in future.
Tom G

Postby terrier2 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Tom,

Not having a go at you, just trying to explain who Andy was and why he would want to offer to buy it.

It's a very rare thing to see handed out, normally just drum sticks. In fact, Billy gave his sticks to an 11 year old lad at Whitley Bay and clearly he was delighted to get them, it was a nice gesture.

I was extremely lucky to get a signed drum skin at York, the night before (due to my long reach) and as you rightly say, it's simply not for sale for any cost, but going in a frame and hung up.

If you're out there Billy, thanks very much for the skin, it will be looked after well, probably by my daughter who will be trying to claim it !!
terrier2

Postby Tom G » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 pm

terrier2 wrote:Tom,

Not having a go at you, just trying to explain who Andy was and why he would want to offer to buy it.

It's a very rare thing to see handed out, normally just drum sticks. In fact, Billy gave his sticks to an 11 year old lad at Whitley Bay and clearly he was delighted to get them, it was a nice gesture.

I was extremely lucky to get a signed drum skin at York, the night before (due to my long reach) and as you rightly say, it's simply not for sale for any cost, but going in a frame and hung up.

If you're out there Billy, thanks very much for the skin, it will be looked after well, probably by my daughter who will be trying to claim it !!

No, I didn't think you were having a go! And re-reading my own post, "firm and persistent" comes across as negative when it was meant as the opposite, he was polite in his approach but I could tell he really wanted it so wouldn't take no for an answer for a minute or two. There's no hard feelings on my part and can't blame a guy for trying.

Indeed, many people would have tried to take it from me forcefully. I have seen the choas at Guns' N Roses concerts when Axl Rose throws his microphone into the crowd. Someone tried to prise a digital camera from my hand once, thinking I had it.
Tom G

Postby terrier2 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:24 pm

No problem. Welcome to the Board, it could do with a few more people posting on here.
terrier2

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Just remembered my old password, I thought I'd registered here before.

I was on the old forums, I miss those, and the old site design.
Tom

Postby Sire » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Tom wrote:...I was on the old forums, I miss those, and the old site design.

Hi Tom

A few of us are on the old style forum.

http://www.a-free-guestbook.com/gb/TheConvincer/

Come and say hello....
=========================
Nos of Tunes on my I-Pod:- 762
Nos of UNDERTONES tunes on my I-Pod:- 61
=========================
Sire

Previous

Return to Live shows