"An Anthology"

A place to discuss the music.

Re: "An Anthology"

Postby julius » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:07 pm

don't forget terry's shop good vibrations In Belfast. He does mailorder.
Maybe anyone post the details???
julius

Postby Roger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:55 pm

I usually don't buy 'best of' - favourite bands or not. The only Undertones' one i have is double vinyl album from 1983 "All Wrapped Up". But this "Anthology" is different because CD 2. I have collected lot of C60 over the years but i haven't "Do The Fast". Why they never recorded it in studio ? don't know but i like it. And of course demo, live tracks sounds much better than my old tapes.
But i noticed one mistake (sorry Mickey) to refer the nice booklet and the gig near Vannes (Guehenno) in 1983 - day before the final date in Punchestown. Vannes were, is and will forever in Brittany and not in the middle of France!!

I bought aswell the Boys "Anthology" new 2xCD on Friday at ULU gig. Recommanded aswell because CD2(!)
Roger

Postby Phil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:56 pm

Oetzi wrote:Are demos and different takes a key to understand the development of a song?
Are some versions better than the "original"?
Is it only stuff for hardcore fans?
My (general) answers: Yes, No, Yes.

Got to say Yes, Maybe, not always

When you get a demo of the quality of Anthology version of My Perfect Cousin it really gives a whole new perspective for the fan. Bittersweet is not far behind. Compared to some of the dross that is released these days under the banner of music you also realise how high the talent was in the band (despite what they say). I personally love hearing a song de-constructed by the artist layer by layer, its an appreciation of an art form.

Is a demo better? - possibly not becuse it has not had hours of production time spent on it. There again it captures the original essence of the song which may be even more valuable.

Not always, it appears that a lot of transient fans and new fans have enjoyed disc two of the Anthology. Lets hope that's reflected in the sales.
Phil

Postby auchinairnboy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Roger wrote:I usually don't buy 'best of' - favourite bands or not. The only Undertones' one i have is double vinyl album from 1983 "All Wrapped Up". But this "Anthology" is different because CD 2. I have collected lot of C60 over the years but i haven't "Do The Fast". Why they never recorded it in studio ? don't know but i like it. And of course demo, live tracks sounds much better than my old tapes.
But i noticed one mistake (sorry Mickey) to refer the nice booklet and the gig near Vannes (Guehenno) in 1983 - day before the final date in Punchestown. Vannes were, is and will forever in Brittany and not in the middle of France!!

I bought aswell the Boys "Anthology" new 2xCD on Friday at ULU gig. Recommanded aswell because CD2(!)

The ULU gig was fantastic. Check out http://www.theboys.co.uk
auchinairnboy

Previous

Return to The Music