acoustic

Best show, worst show, no show...

Re: acoustic

Postby stote007 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:29 am

That's the one Hawk. From Utrecht rail station you can get on a 6 or 8 bus with destination Lunetten or Hoograven. Get off at Tolsteegplantsoen, walk back in the direction the bus came from and first left is De Helling.
cheers
Paul
stote007

Postby katepilk » Fri May 15, 2009 11:02 am

Off to Holland 2nd-4th June so hopefully see some humdingers in Amsterdam :D :D :D
katepilk

Postby stote007 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:39 pm

Kate
How will we know you? Wear a red carnation or something!
stote007

Postby katepilk » Fri May 22, 2009 10:58 am

I Know Roger Hawk so will look out for him. Will probably be wearing a tones T-shirt and will definitely have a red carnation!! :lol:
What time will you be getting there?
katepilk

Postby julius » Fri May 22, 2009 6:59 pm

maybe we could arrange a pub in amsterdam to meet, same applies for Utrecht. I hope to arrive in amsterdam somewhere in the afternoon.
julius

Postby Wayne » Mon May 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Over for Amsterdam gig plus at least a couple more too. Julius- let us know the name of the "pub" to meet up at. Kate- won't you be in your nurses get up ? :roll:
Wayne

Postby julius » Mon May 25, 2009 10:04 pm

I'll inquire for a good pub on a central location. stote any suggestions?
julius

Postby hawk » Mon May 25, 2009 10:25 pm

Julius/Stote,

Over to you. :?: :?:
hawk

Postby stote007 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:27 pm

What about Momo, on the ground floor of the Park Hotel, junction of Stadhouderskade and Hobbemastraat? That's where the beautiful people meet........ www.momo-amsterdam.com. Alternatively there's loads of touristy bars in the Leidseplein, there's one Irish one on the Korte Leidsedwarsstraat side of the square, but they're all much of a muchness.
stote007

Postby julius » Thu May 28, 2009 11:02 am

Yesterday for the first time in over 6 years the Undertones hit Holland, a long wait. All day I felt a sort of “nervous expectation”. Location was 013 in Tilburg, an old textile town in the south. Venue was 013, one of the main stages in the country where the Tones played the small hall.
The tones played as part of the finefinemusic tour, 2 young bands supported by a main act. The main act has to do domething different. Well our friends did, came as as a threesome and left Billy and Mickey at home. The Undertones were the first foreign act to headline this tour. And to make things even more different: the headliner does not play as last act!! On earlier versions it was mostly a Dutch top-act headlining where the frontman appeared solo or so. There was a popquiz, a DJ and a few surprises. The idea was great, a shame only 40 people or so turned out for this event.

Me and young Stote arrived in time to see “I kissed Charles”, fronted by a 17 year old girl singing and playing synths with a powerpop-rocky band. I quite liked them and was impressed.
9.30 sharp youg paul, young John and Young Damian appeared. John sitting playing an acoustic guitar, Damian the electric guitar and Paul singing and using various instruments as a guitar.
I really enjoyed it. The undertones-songs sounded different, naked, but in this basic form you notice even more stronger how good the songs are!!(you understand me??)
I even noticed a setlist for your pleasure: Perfect Cousin, Gotta Getta, Everly Brotherscover, Runaround, Wednesday week, Playin with fire (stones-cover), Sunday morning(velvet underground cover), Feels like heaven (pere ubu), Fight my corner, Bittersweet, Thrill me, Strange effect (dave berry), a rockabilly song, Julie Ocean, Teenage Kicks, Get over you. No encores as the tones were just a supporting band hihi.

My set-favourites were : Gotta getta, Wednesday week, Sunday Morning(did not know this great song) , Bittersweet(yes Arthur you were fully right) and Julie Ocean(best song of the night in my humble opinion). Bittersweet had a false start, something to do with guitarplaying so we heard it twice. The slower songs sounded better, quite understandably. I am not saying that the fast ones did not sound good. And Anoraks will notice "fight my corner" made its livedebute!
It was the first time in my life I applauded for a Stones-song. I have all the Beatle-albums and no Stones record at all.
The band still have to get used to this new setting. We will be getting better each night they said. Well actually they were already quite good. An example of the usual Undertones-modesty. And as Stote remarked it was the first time he saw the band play without dark glasses. The atmosphere on stage was good with Paul making his jokes.
After the Undertones set the visitors were invited to the dressingroom where we had a surprise set by Maurits Westerik of GEM. GEM is a topact in Holland, they alone would be capable of selling out the main hall of 013. Their debut gig was supportact for the Libertines!! A great , small gig by Maurits.
There were extra posters outside saying it was not a full undertones line-up and an acoustic set. 2 people handed in their tickets I noticed.
I am already lookin forward to tonight’s gig in Nijmegen. Hopefully a larger crowd will turn up.
julius

PreviousNext

Return to Live shows